We totally get it. This is not how any of us envisioned celebrating Easter. Most families are used to large holiday gatherings crowded around a table for brunch or out and about at an Easter egg hunt. Fret not, we here at Jacksonville Mom are problem-solvers and merry-makers for any drab situation. We are excited to bring you our eggcellent list of Easter activities to enjoy from the comfort of your own home or neighborhood. If you are looking for Easter in brunch in Jacksonville, these local spots are still serving!
Right about now, we are all missing our innate human need for connection with others. This just means we need to get more creative in working around this whole social distancing thang. Make new connections with the people who make up your neighborhood by coordinating any of the activities below. Bonus is that after this whole shindig is up, you’ll have made new lifelong friends that you may not have prior to this arrangement. #blessingsindisguise
- Jax Social Distance Egg Hunt: It’s simple! Click here (or scroll down) to download your printable coloring pages and get to hunting. We can’t wait to see all of your beautiful creations! Just remember to tag us @jacksonvillemom and use the hashtag #jaxmomegghunt.
- Garage Door Decor: Break out your spring and Easter decor and go to town decorating for all passersby to admire. Throw some holiday lights or inflatables in there, too, because well, why not? We all could use a little extra cheer these days!
- Egg Your Lawn: Coordinate with your neighbors (online, of course), and carefully (think hand sanitizer or disposable gloves) fill your front yard with colorful plastic eggs for little ones to “find” while walking around your neighborhood. Set a limit with your neighbors on the number of eggs per child beforehand and have fun taking turns hunting throughout the neighborhood.
Many local and nationwide churches are streaming special Easter services online. Be sure to reach out to your local church for any possible virtual services they may be offering this year. On an even cooler note, now is also the time to look into being an online participant at a church where you wouldn’t normally be able to attend in person! Please feel free to add your favorite church’s virtual service to our events calendar or in the comments below.
We all know kids love stories and being read to daily. Holidays are definitely no exception to the rule and right now we have such an advantage to be able to hear from those who are all around the world! Snuggle up on the couch or in bed, turn the volume up and make it a family affair!
- Bertie’s Easter Egg Hunt: In this special Bertie Story for Easter, the annual Easter egg hunt in the palace garden is heading for disaster, and Prince Bertie the Frog is about to take the blame for eating the eggs belonging to the children.
- Tim the Tadpole Learns About Easter Eggs: A short history story telling us about where Easter eggs come from.
- Spring the Sweet Spring: A beautiful poem to ring in spring!
- Virtual Easter Storytime: Join the Lewis Latimer House Museum all the way from New York as they read the story, Do Bunnies Lay Easter Eggs?.
You may have noticed all of the community “hunts” popping up all over town in an effort to get the kids out of the house without infringing on the 6-feet rule. First, it was the #904RainbowHunt, and then came the neighborhood teddy bear hunts. What fun would our annual “hunt” holiday be without one more that actually included hunting for Easter eggs? We’ve even made it really simple for ya!
Step 1: Print out your Jax Mom Easter Egg Hunt Coloring Pages.
Step 2: Color them as beautifully as you see fit. (Adults, be sure to color them, too!)
Step 3: Hang them proudly in your street-facing windows for your neighbors to see by 4/8! Be sure to share this in your neighborhood groups to get everyone playing along. April 8-12, take a walk and see how many eggs you can find. Share your photos on social media with #jaxmomegghunt.
Bonus: Don’t forget to also download and print these adorable (FREE!) Easter coloring sheets courtesy of Declaration & Co.!